8.23.2010

hobbying.

"My personal hobbies are reading, listening to music, and silence."~ Edith Sitwell 

Let's break Edith's quote down, shall we?

reading.

Of course there's the big stack of magazines I've been getting through. Dog-earing. Recipe-copying. Product-finding. But, other than magazines, this summer has been one where I always have a book in my purse.

Here's the list of books I've read in the last 3 months:

I Feel Bad About My Neck: and Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron
My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares
The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen
The Help by Kathryn Stockett {am picking up from the library today. am eager to start reading.}

listening to music.

Thanks to Amazon.com having $5 MP3 albums, Chad and I have a full new stock on the iPods. While he's listening to Mumford & Sons and Arcade Fire, I'm finding different music to love. If you want to get in on the deals to, you'll have to hurry--the offer is good only through the month of August.

Here's my list of new-to-me music all thanks to Amazon's 5 dollar deals:

Trouble by Ray Lamontagne
The Fame Monster by Lady Gaga {awesome workout tunes}
Nighttiming by Coconut Records
Burn to Shine by Ben Harper
Brett Dennen by Brett Dennen
Underachievers Please Try Harder by Camera Obscura

and, here's what I've gotten without the Amazon's 5 dollar deals:

God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise by Ray LaMontagne & The Pariah Dogs 
Firecracker by The Wailin' Jennys

and, if you're like me and you love listening to music at work, please do yourself a favor and listen to music via Grooveshark. Unlike Pandora, you have the power to listen to complete albums instead of individual songs. It's my newest online love.

as far as the silence thing goes...I'm still working on that one. :)

What books and albums am I missing? I love getting reader recommendations! 

quote originally found here

3 comments:

Oh, My Darling said...

Ooh, Camera Obscura and Ray Lamontagne are among my favorites! I saw Camera Obscura in concert, and they were great!

Other recommendations, considering your list of favorites, could include: Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros (start with "Home"), Beirut, Dirty Projectors, and Basia Bulat.

Hooray for good music!

paula said...

the Civil Wars are my absolute favorite duo.

Vanessa said...

Reading & Music, 2 of my favorite things!

I tried reading The Time Traveler's Wife but couldn't get through it. I need to retry! Thought I do have "Water for Elephants" & "The Help" on my must read lists!

& Music, I LOVE Arcade Fire, Ray Lamontagne, and Ben Harper! LOVE!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails