11.22.2010

proclamations of Thanksgiving.

Today, I thought I would share something I found interesting...

A couple weeks ago, my church put in their latest newsletter several speeches on the topic of Thanksgiving. Below are some words that I found interesting and wanted to reflect on throughout the week:

We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of heaven
We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace and multiplied
and enriched and strengthened us, and we have vainly imagined
that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own.

God should be solemnly, reverently, and gratefully acknowledged,
as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People.
...Set apart and observe the last Thursday of November as a day of Thanksgiving
and praise to our beneficent Father
who dwelleth in the Heavens.

-- Abraham Lincoln
(March & October 1863)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails